To speak secretly or furtively, as in promoting intrigue, gossip, etc
A secretly or surreptitiously expressed belief or rumor
Taste of Home; Comfort Food with a Modern Twist- 2nd Prize!
Gruyere Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam
- bacon cut into ½” pieces
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped
- garlic minced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup spreadable brie cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread cut into ½” slices
- Butter for spreading
FIRST: MAKE BACON-DATE JAM
- Heat a heavy skillet or pot over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crisp. Remove from pot, place on a paper towel set aside.
- Pour remaining bacon grease into a jar or clean metal can.
- Add 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon grease to pot, add onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until caramelized about 35-40 minutes.
- Add the bacon, dates, cider, water, salt and pepper. Stir well, reduce heat to simmer and cover for about 45 minutes.
- Remove lid, continue to simmer, stirring every 15-20 minutes for 90 minutes
- Let cool.
- Combine the cheeses in a small bowl mix well.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Generously butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Evenly spread the cheese mixture on the other side of each slice.
- Spread bacon-date jam on four of the slices of bread and put the sandwiches together. Place in the skillet, butter side down.
- Grill until golden brown; flip over.
Arizona’s Bashas’ Chicken Challenge Winner!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Basha’s Rotisserie chicken
- 1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables- thawed
- 1 small onion-diced
- 1t. Sage
- Salt & pepper
- 1T. Oil
- 2T. Flour
- 1/3 C. chicken broth
- 1/4 C. 2% milk
- Piecrust (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove chicken from bones and set aside.
- If you are using piecrust, line your pie tins with piecrust.
- Sauté onion in oil with sage salt & pepper until tender.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add chicken broth & milk and mix well. Continue to stir until it becomes thick.
- Add vegetables and chicken; mix well.
- Spoon evenly into individual pie tins.
- Cut biscuits in small pieces with scissors and put on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 or until crust is and biscuit topping is golden brown.
Chicken Romaine Lettuce Boats
- Basha’s Rotisserie chicken-removed from bone
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry/grape tomatoes- cut in half
- Bacon-cooked and cut into bits
- Spreadable cream cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Spread cream cheese on Romaine lettuce leaf.
- Add chicken.
- Top with tomatoes, avocado & bacon.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Twice-Baked Chicken Potatoes
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken- removed from the bone
- 1 lb. cooked bacon
- 4 large baking potatoes
- ½ C. reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ C. low fat cottage cheese
- ½ C. chives-chopped
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 1 C. shredded cheese + ¼C
- Wrap each potato in plastic wrap and microwave for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the “guts”, leaving a little bit in the shell.
- Combine potato guts, sour cream, cottage cheese, chives, 1 cup shredded cheese and half of the bacon in bowl and mix well.
- Add chicken; mix well.
- Spoon potato mixture into potato shells.
- Bake at 400° for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and remaining bacon bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.