Episode 4: A Happy Healthy Halloween!
Turkey Meatballs with Seared Veggies
- 1 Package of Ground Turkey
- 1 Egg
- 2-3T. Oregano
- 1 Medium Onion diced/minced
- ½ -1 Green Pepper-diced/minced
- ½ -1 Red Pepper-diced
- ½ C, black olives, chopped/minced
THE VEGGIES TO SEAR
- 1 Green Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Red Pepper-cut in to chunks (or thinly sliced..)
- 1 Package of Fresh Mushrooms-sliced
- 2 small zucchini
- 1T. minced garlic
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 (14.5oz.) can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 ¾ C. broth (chicken, beef or vegetarian)
THE PASTA & KALE
- 1 pkg. of spaghetti
- 1 bunch of kale- remove leaves from stem and tear into bite size pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Put the turkey, diced veggies, egg, oregano and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape into ping-pong size meatballs and put on a non-stick cookie sheet or a tin foil lined cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Put them in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. (When they are done they often have a lot of juice, so be careful when removing them from the oven.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta. Cook for about 5 minutes, stir in the kale and continue to cook for about 3-4 more minutes or until the pasta is done. Drain and rinse lightly. Put in a large bowl and add a smidge of olive oil and stir.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and turn on medium-high heat.
- Put 1t. olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. When skillet is hot add the mushrooms and cook until tender and set aside in a bowl. (I cook the mushrooms separately because they produce too much liquid…)
- When the skillet is hot, add the chopped peppers, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. Stirring almost constantly, cook about 15 minutes or until the skin begins to blister and turn golden brown. Don’t overcook or they will be soggy!
- Spoon some pasta-kale into a bowl and place the seared veggies and mushrooms on top. Add the meatballs and spoon on some tomato sauce. Sprinkle with a tiny smidge of fresh grated parmesan cheese.
This is also GREAT served on top of brown rice!