A Healthy Halloween
Whole Grain Bread
- * 2 ¾ C. hot water
- * 1/3 C. olive oil
- * 1/3 C. honey
- * 2 T. molasses
- * 1 t. salt
- 6-7 ½ C. whole grain wheat flour
- 2 T. dry active yeast
- Place the first five ingredients (*)in a bowl and mix
- Add two cups 100% whole grain wheat flour, mix.
- Add 2 T. of dry active yeast.
- Mix until consistency is somewhat even. Then continue to slowly add flour ½ cup at a time until the dough quits sticking to the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky to the touch. It will most likely be 6 ½ cups –don’t exceed 7 ½ cups. Don’t over mix the bread or the bread will be tough.
- Leave it in the mixer, cover it and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. It will be larger but probably not doubled.
- Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Mix the dough again just enough to knock it down at least close to the original size.
- Drop the dough on a floured surface so you can work the dough and shape it. Shape it will your hands to make a nice ball getting enough flour so it isn’t sticky.
- Divide the ball in half and do it again. Shape the loaves by turning the dough under its self over and over until the sides and ends are sealed and it is a nice oblong shape with smooth sides and top.
- Drop the loaves in your bread pans and let them rise until almost doubled. (two hours or so)
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 ° for 36 minutes; if you forgot to preheat bake for 41 minutes.
- When done, turn the bread out of the pan to a rack to cool.
It is AMAZING to eat right away!
Don’t wrap it until it is completely cooled. Put in tin foil to store on the counter.
Do not store in the fridge or it will get as hard as a brick!
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 3-4 chicken breasts or thighs (about 1 pound)
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 t. oregano
- 1 t. cumin
- 2 T. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cans (15 oz) each white kidney beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.
- 3 C. chicken broth (divided)
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium high heat cook chicken, onion, jalapeno, oregano, cumin in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is browned and onion and pepper are crisp tender.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small bowl mash 1 cup of beans.
- Add ½ C of broth and stir until blended.
- Add to the slow cooker along with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 3 1/3 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork, stir and serve.
Sweet Honey Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts or (8 chicken thighs)
- ½ C. Honey
- 2 T. soy sauce
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 1/8 t. ginger
- Preheat oven to at 375°
- Place chicken in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Combine honey, soy sauce, garlic powder and ginger. Mix well.
- Spoon ¼ C. of honey mixture over the chicken. Save the rest.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes or until done. (Chicken is done when it is no longer squishy…)
- Remove from oven, let the chicken rest and pour remaining sauce over chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut the apples in bite size pieces
- Place them in a baking dish.
- Add ¼” of water.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir slightly.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.