Cooking with Coop
Mexican Crockpot Chicken
- 4-5 Chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. dried oregano
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced (2 t. minced garlic)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ C. chicken broth
- Put all the above ingredients in a crockpot, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours (or cook on high for 2-3 hours)
- Shred chicken with a fork and mix well.
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- Add the black beans and green chilies and mix well. Let cook for another 30 minutes.
8 (6 inch) flour or corn tortillas, warmed (or leaf lettuce works great too!)
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Shredded Mexican style cheese
- Corn chips
- Shredded Cheese
- Toppings (see above)
- Place chips on an ovenproof plate and spoon chicken mixture evenly of the top.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Place in oven top shelf on broil.
- Broil for about 1 minute (keep a close eye; we are just melting the cheese, it doesn’t take long!)
- Remove and top with toppings
- Fresh flour tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Enchilada sauce
- Toppings (see above)
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with a small amount of enchilada sauce.
- Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of chicken mixture in the middle of a flour tortilla, top with cheese and wrap. Place it seam side down. Repeat until the baking dish is full.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top of enchiladas and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 ° for 30 minutes.
BREAKFAST EGG WHITES
- 32oz egg whites
- Salt & pepper
- Goat cheese
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray, place on stove on medium heat
- Pour egg whites in skillet
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover with a lid.
- Cook until the whites are no longer runny, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes, cut into 5 equal pieces. (see photo below)
- Place in storage containers; add 1-2T. goat cheese, cover with lid.
- Put in refrigerator until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, loosen lid, put in microwave for 1 minute.
Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 1C. Whole milk
- 2C. Heavy whipping cream
- 3/4C. Sugar
- 1t. Vanilla
- ~1C. Cake batter
- Whisk together the milk and sugar
- Add in vanilla
- Whisk in heavy cream
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight
- Once chilled, pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for at least 7-8 minutes before adding in the extras.
- Churn for about 10 minutes all together, then pour into a container with a lid and let freeze overnight.
Chocolate Chip Cookies & Chocolate Gnoch
- 2 ½ C. Flour
- 1.t Baking Soda
- 1 ½ t. Salt
- Mix into a bowl.
- 2 Stick unsalted butter
- 1 ½ C. Brown Sugar
- ¾ C. Sugar
- Put in mixing bowl and mix until creamy
- 2 Eggs
- 1t. Vanilla
- ~1C. Flour
- Add eggs in one at a time. Then add vanilla.
- Mix until very creamy.
- Begin to slowly add in flour mixture until batter becomes sticky.
- Begin to add more flour ¼ cup at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky BUT NOT CRUMBLY, usually about 1 cup.
- 1 ½ Bags of chocolate chips
- Stir chips in the dough mixture.
- On a baking sheet with parchment paper, put large globs of cookie dough into to rows with 4-5 in each row.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an initial 8 minutes then add another 2 minutes at a time until the bottoms of the cookies are brown, usually 11-12 minutes total depending on the oven.
- Remove them from the oven and let cool on a separate plate.
Chocolate Gnoch (Spread)
- 1C. Heavy whipping cream
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl.
- Add the heavy whipping cream into a pan and heat to ALMOST boiling.
- Pour the heated cream over the chocolate chip and add a pinch of salt and DO NOT TOUCH for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, whisk chocolate until creamy.
- Let sit for another 30 minutes.
- Gluten-Free Bread
- Cream Cheese
- Turkey Breast
- Spread mayo or mustard on bread.
- Add bacon, tomato, lettuce & cheese.
- Spread cream cheese on half deli turkey slice and fold over.
- Place on sandwich.
- Repeat step 3 until you have four slices on your sandwich.
- Put the top slice on your sandwich and ENJOY!!
P.S. Easy Bacon Cooking Tip
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay bacon slices close together on baking sheet.
- Put baking sheet in the oven.
- THEN turn on the oven.
- Set timer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven; PERFECTLY cooked!!
Delicious, Easy, Healthy Make-Ahead Lunches
- Grape tomatoes
- Cucumber- peeled, halved and sliced
- Cooked chicken
- Feta Cheese
- 2oz. container for dressing
- Salad dressing
- Fill a tall container with torn up lettuce.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, chicken
- Top with feta cheese
- Fill 2oz. container with dressing and place inside the container.
- Put the lid on and store until ready to take to work!
**Note** Make 2-3 days at a time.
Grocery Shopping for a Healthy Week of Meals
- Egg whites- 32oz=5 egg whites/day for 5 days.
- Parmesan cheese
- Goat cheese
- Lettuce-leaf lettuce, red lettuce or Romaine
- 2 or 3 avocados
- 2-3 plum tomatoes
- Russet potatoes
- Cucumber (and any other veggies you would like in your salads)
- Turkey breast from the Deli
- Chicken breasts-large package
- Rice pasta
- Black beans
- Artichoke hearts
- Gluten-Free bread (Trader Joe’s brand-white or wheat)
- Tamari sauce
- Minced garlic
Valentine-Love- Cherry Pies
- Premade Pie Crust
- 1/3C. Sugar
- ¼ C. Water
- 2T. Cornstarch
- 1T. lime juice
- 3C. fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries-no pits
- 1 egg-lightly beaton
- Course sugar
- In a saucepan combine sugar, water, cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add cherries; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 1 minute or until thick.
- Remove from heat, stir, set a side to cool
- Preheat oven to 400°
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll the piecrust.
- Cut out hearts with a 4” cookie cutter.
- Using a knife or a ¼ “ heart shape cookie cutter cut out small hearts from remaining hearts.
- Spoon 2T. cherries onto center of crust.
- Brush edges of pastry with egg, top with cutout hearts and press edges with a fork.
- Brush tops with egg, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let pies stand 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Credit: Taste of Home