Brined, Bacon Wrapped & Grilled
- 1 20 lb. turkey
- Bacon; 3 packs for 20 lbs.
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh rosemary, sage & thyme
- Large disposable roasting pan
- Heavy duty tin foil
- Charcoal and lighter fluid and matches
- 2 gallons apple juice
- 1C. Kosher salt
- 1 1/2C. Brown sugar
- 3-4T. garlic
- 2T. Worchershire sauce
- 2T. Peppercorns
- 1 VERY large pot; big enough to put the whole turkey in with a lid.
Brining the Turkey:
- On the Sunday before Thanksgiving unwrap the turkey and pull out all the giblets. (They are in both cavities-front and back- usually in a small paper bag)
- Put the turkey in that VERY large pot.
- Bring the apple juice, salt and sugar in a large pot, heat and stir until dissolved all the way.
- Let cool.
- Add the Worchershire sauce, peppercorns and a garlic.
- Slowly pour over the turkey
- Cover it tightly with tin foil and put the lid on it.
- Put it in the refrigerator for at LEAST 24 hours; I usually let it brine for at least 3 days.
Bacon Wrapping the Turkey: A Good I.Dee: Wrap the turkey the night before you cook it.
- Take the turkey out of the brining liquid and discard the liquid and rinse the turkey.
- Place the turkey in the roasting pan…..Ummmm…breast and leg side up……
- Put the fresh spices in the cavity of the turkey
- Unwrap the bacon and put it on the counter so you can reach for it easily.
- Start with wrapping the wings; stretch out the wing and wrap round and round, starting at the farthest point from the turkey’s body.
- Fold the wing back and tuck it under the turkey; they will be less likely to burn if you do that.
- Repeat with the other wing.
- Next wrap the legs; pull the leg out from the body of the turkey and wrap round and round. It may take several pieces to wrap one leg.
- Make you are wrapping so that no skin is showing.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Next put bacon slices on the sides.
- Then the top working from front to back.
- Until the entire turkey is covered and wrapped in bacon.
- Pepper the top.
- Wrap with heavy duty tin foil.
Preparing the Grill and Cooking the Turkey:
- Make sure all old charcoal is removed from the grill.
- Make two piles of charcoal, one on each side of the grill, using about 10-15 pieces of charcoal.
- Sprinkle lighter fluid on each pile of charcoal and light each pile with matches.
- Let the coals get hot. They are ready when there is hot red in the center of the pile and the edges of the charcoal are gray.
- Put the grate on the grill with the handle holes by the piles. This is VERY important!! You will need to add coals to the piles through those openings.
- Carry the turkey out to the grill using a cookie sheet under it.
- Transfer the turkey from the cookie sheet to the grill.
- After 20 minutes, add two or three coals to each side, through the openings.
- Add 2-4 coals every 20 minutes or so, making sure the coals doesn’t burn out or get too hot. If you can hear the turkey simmering and the coals have not burned much, wait another 10-15 minutes and check it again.
- The cooking time will be about 20 minutes per pound. (A 20 pound turkey will take about 6 ½ hours or so… a 25 pound turkey will take about 8 hours.)
- The turkey is done when the popper pops out (or the legs are easy to move and feel as if they will pull off easily.) You DO NOT want to overcook a turkey , it will be dry….(if the turkey does not have a popper, stick to the 20 minutes per pound and take off the grill then.
- Remove the foil. The bacon will be brown and crispy looking.
- There will be a lot of liquid in the pan. Take a turkey baster and squeeze out the juices into a pan. It might be easier to use a cup with a handle. Be careful, though, it will be VERY, VERY hot!
- Go get someone to help you take it off the grill. You could do it, but it is a LOT easier if you can get an extra pair of hands to help you.
- Hold the cookie sheet as close to the turkey pan as you can and slide the cookie sheet under the turkey pan and slide the turkey pan onto the cookie sheet at the same time.
- Carry it in the house, place it on the kitchen counter and let it rest for at least an hour. Lay the tin foil loosely on top.
Halloween Spider Cake Pops
- 1 Cake (already baked and cooled)
- ½ -1C. Frosting
- 1-2 packages of CandiQuick chocolate
- Stick pretzels
- Wooden skewers
- Baking sheet(s)
- Parchment paper
- Candy eyes or tiny M&M’s
- Crock pot filled halfway with water
- Medium bowl
- Large spoon
- Bake the cake and let it cook completely
- Crumble cake in a large bowl.
- Add ½ cup frosting, mix well; add additional frosting until the cake is no longer crumbly, but be careful not too add too much. You DO NOT want a frosting pop, you want a CAKE pop!
- Roll TWO equal sizes of cake balls; one smaller and one larger-one for the head and one for the body.
- Take a skewer and put a large and a small cake ball on the skewer.
- Add 8 pretzels stick for the legs.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Put warm water in crockpot and turn on warm.
- Melt chocolate candy quick according to the package directions in a medium glass bowl.
- Place in the crockpot, making sure NO WATER gets in the chocolate (the bowl should be large enough to sit on the rim of the crockpot).
- Carefully dipped the spiders in the bowl, coating them thoroughly with the chocolate, using a large spoon if necessary.
- Let excess chocolate drip off before placing on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- GENTLY pull the skewer out and put a little chocolate to cover the hole if needed.
- Put the eyes on right away or “glue” them on with chocolate later.
- Let set.
Amazingly Delicious Oreo Bread
- 3 ½ C. flour
- 1 C. chopped Oreos + ½ C. finely crushed Oreos
- 1 package of yeast
- ¾ C. warm water
- ¼ C. melted butter (½ stick)
- ½ C. milk
- 3 eggs
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine water and yeast. Stir to combine. The water should be between 110-115 degrees F.; which is pretty much hot tap water. Don’t microwave it, it’ll be too hot!! Let the yeast dissolve in the water while you measure your dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour mixture and Oreos.
- Add yeast mixture, butter, milk and eggs.
- Using an electric mixer, mix dough for five minutes on medium-high speed. Your dough should be soft, thick, and sticky. If you are using a handheld mixer, the dough will try to “climb” the beaters. Be sure to use a rubber spatula to push the dough back into the bowl.
- Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with vegetable spray.
- Spread batter evenly into the pan. Top with mini Oreo’s or crushed Oreo’s.
- Cover the loaf lightly with a piece of greased plastic wrap. (If you cover the loaf tightly, the dough will have trouble rising.)
- Allow dough to rise for at least 1 hour. If an hour isn’t long enough let it rise until it has risen a little over the top of the pan, then it is ready.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. (Keep dough covered while preheating the oven.)
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208 degrees-211 degrees F. If the crust of your bread begins to get too dark before the internal temperature of the bread reaches 208 degrees, simply cover the loaf with a piece of aluminum foil. This will allow the bread to continue baking without burning the crust.
- Remove bread from oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool.
What do you do if your birthday falls on 8/21/2017? Why, you get a solar eclipse cake! SUPER FUN and DELICIOUS!!!
What is a Hobbit?
What is a Hobbit hole?
Cheese Stuffed Basil Burgers
These burgers are stuffed with an amazing cheese mixture, grilled and topped with MORE cheese! These step-by-step instructions help you easily make these delicious burgers for dinner or any celebration or party!
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef or turkey
- 2T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2T. oregano
- 2t. minced garlic
- 1t. garlic salt
- ¼ C. chopped fresh basil
- ¼ C. goat cheese
- ¼ C. mozzarella cheese
- ¼ C. cheddar-jack
- ¼ C. cream cheese
- ¼ C. mayonnaise
- Mix meat, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, garlic, garlic salt and basil in a bowl and shape evenly into 8 burgers.
- Combine all the cheeses together and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop the cheese mixture evenly in the center of 4 of the burgers.
- Put the other half of the burger on top and pinch the edges (so the cheese won’t leak out while cooking).
- Grill burgers using indirect heat for about 5-7 minutes each side.
- Top with another slice of cheese and remove from the grill.
Cake Batter Ice Cream with Cookie Dough, Oreos, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Fudge & Toffee
2C. Heavy Whipping Cream
½ C. Cake Batter
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Mini Oreos & Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Toffee
- Chocolate Frosting-frozen
- You can use any treats you like; mini Kit-Kats, chocolate chips, frozen peanut butter etc…
- Pour milk, heavy cream and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly until sugar dissolves.
- Add cake batter a little at a time and whisk until blended well.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and allow to churn for 6-8 minutes before adding the treats.
- Slowly add treats one at a time.
- Pour ice cream back into the mixing bowl and freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
ICE CREAM SANWICHES
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Cutter- a little smaller than the cookies
- Ice Cream
- Pour ice cream into a baking dish lines with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours
- Lift the ice cream from the baking dish with the parchment paper.
- Cut circles out of the ice cream with the cookie cutters.
- Using the spatula slide the circles of ice cream one of the cookies, top with the other cookie.
- Add the sprinkles to the sides of the cookies.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to eat!
Real or Fake???
Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts-On the Grill!
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1/4C. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4C. shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4C. cheddar-jack cheese
- 1/4C. goat cheese
- 1/4C. mayonnaise
- cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2C. chopped artichokes
- minced garlic
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and gently pound until 1/2″ thick, keeping the chicken halves equal in size.
- Combine the cheeses, mayonnaise, artichoke hearts and minced garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread the cheese mixture on one side of each chicken breast and place other chicken half on top so the chicken breast is “back together”.
- Carefully wrap the chicken breast with bacon making sure to cover the entire chicken breast.
- Gently place wrapped chicken on a baking sheet (I use a disposable one) with a cooling rack (to help the bacon cook evenly). Top with pepper.
- Gill using indirect heat for an hour or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from grill and let rest for ~15 minutes.
Bacon Wrapped Sweet & Spicy Chicken Bites
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1/3C. brown sugar
- 1½t. chili powder
- ½t. cumin
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut chicken into ½-1” pieces.
- Mix together sugar, chili powder and cumin.
- Cut bacon in half
- Place bacon on flat surface, roll chicken in bacon.
- Roll in sugar mixture until well coated; making sure ends are also covered with the sugar mixture.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Place on rack on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.