- 6 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced.
- ¼ C. olive oil
- ½ t. salt
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Put the potatoes large bowl , add oil and mix well.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread the potato onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn them over and salt the other side. Bake 20 more minutes turning every 10 minutes until they have a soft center.
Chicken Caesar-Pasta Salad
3-4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 ½ C. cooked whole wheat penne pasta
2 C. romaine lettuce; torn up
1½ C. cherry or grape tomatoes
¼ C. chopped fresh basil
¼ C. chopped green onions
¼ C. chopped fresh parsley
¼-½ C. fresh parmesan cheese
Poppy seed dressing or your favorite dressing
1. Cook the pasta ACCORDING TO THE PACKAGE DIRECTIONS..
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and set aside in a small bowl.
3. Combine all the rest of the ingredients, except the tomatoes, in a large bowl. Mix well. Use your (clean) hands it’s much easier.
4. Serve the salad and add the tomatoes in each individual bowl.
5. Top with cheese and dressing.
** You can use a cooked rotisserie chicken from the store. Just peel off the skin!
Yummy-Ground Turkey, Cheese & Black Bean Enchiladas
Click below to view video!
Good I.Dee: There are a couple of options for this recipe:
Ground turkey or beef
Pre-cooked chicken (baked or rotisserie)Enchilada or Casserole
1-1½ lbs. Ground turkey or beef (or cooked shredded chicken)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 garlic *gloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16oz)jar of salsa
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas or 8 inch whole wheat flour tortillas
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
Preheat oven to 350°.
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion, ground turkey (or beef) and sauté until no longer pink.
3. Drain of excess liquid.
4. Stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic, beans, and cook 2 minutes, stirring mixture frequently.
5. Stir in salsa, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spread 1/3 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
7. Spoon about 1/3 cup black bean mixture down center of each tortilla, top with cheese, and gently roll up.
8. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, crosswise in dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce evenly over enchiladas, and sprinkle with cheese.
9. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
*Glove=clove, a mispronounced word in our family for years before some else pointed it out..…I refuse to say anything but that
This recipe is easy to make and takes only a few minutes to prepare, minus the overnight marinade time.
Asian Pork Tenderloin
- 1/3 C. Brown sugar
- 1/3 C. Low-sodium Soy sauce
- 2T. Lemon juice
- 2T. Sesame oil
- 2T. Worchester sauce
- 4 Garlic gloves (or 4t. crushed garlic)
- 1T. Ground mustard
- 1T. Pepper
- 2- ¾ lb.each Pork Tenderloin
- In a small bowl combine the first eight ingredients (everything but the pork) and mix with a fork.
- Put the pork in a re-sealable large Ziploc bag.
- Pour ½ C. of the marinade (those first eight ingredients mixed together) in with it, seal the bag, and refrigerate for eight hours or overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate the remaining leftover marinade.
Eight hours later or the next day….
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Remove the pork from the bag, and place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Discard the marinade.
- Put pork in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 145°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- Remove from oven let stand 5 minutes before slicing. After slicing, pour remaining marinade over the top of the pork so it seeps into the slices.
Soooo good served with baked potatoes topped with low-fat cottage cheese and fresh cut string beans.
**Easy Baked Potato Tip** Wash medium size baking potatoes, wrap in Saran Wrap and microwave for eight minutes.
Or we can call it Just Meat, Noodles and Cheese….until you develop a pallet for vegetables, which, in some cases, may be never….
I call this, for obvious reasons, … Friday Night Special
(Of course you can leave out any ingredient you don’t like, which might be the peppers and the mushrooms and probably the tomatoes…..my experience was that at some point after my 39th birthday I begin to enjoy these vegetables.)
- 1 package of ground turkey or lean beef
- 1small onion chopped
- 1 green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper-chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 package of fresh mushrooms
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 package of whole wheat rigatoni or spiral noodles
- Oregano & any other Italian spices you like
- Olive oil
- 2 C. fresh grated parmesan cheese
The noodles (pasta):
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, add the pasta and cook until done. (the pasta is done when the time on the package directions is reached..)
- Drain the noodles- don’t rinse them- and put them back in a large mixing bowl.
- While the water is heating…..In a skillet (or large pot sprayed with cooking spray), brown the ground turkey or beef with the onion and oregano.
- When it is done, drain the excess liquid off.
- Put back on the stove and add the veggies cooking until tender about 15 minutes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and set them aside.
- Add the meat mixture to the noodles and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and mix again.
- Add 1 C. of fresh grated parmesan cheese and mix again. Mix well.
- Top it off with more cheese if you’d like. Yumm!!!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 1.5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss cauliflower in olive oil.
- Dump onto a cooking sheet.
- Bake cauliflower in oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn oven to broil. Watch for about 5-10 minutes until cauliflower is almost burnt.
- Remove from oven and place in bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon (if desired) and add sea salt to taste.
Additions and Options:
1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp. pine nuts
Juice of 1 lemon
Sprinkle parmesan and pine nuts on cauliflower right before turning the oven to broil. Keep a close eye on the melting cheese (3-5 minutes in the broiler).