- 3-4 C. cooked chicken torn into bite size pieces
- Broiled broccoli
- 2-3 C. Mushrooms (large sliced or small whole..)
- Whole wheat penne pasta (I usually try to limit the amount of pasta I eat; I only cook a small amount, so cook according to your preference…)
The easiest thing to do is get a precooked roasted chicken from the store….
Or…cook a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, so you have them on hand….
- 2-3 large bunches of broccoli (4-5 pounds)
- 2-3T. Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 4 gloves of minced garlic (optional)-yes I said “gloves…”
Here’s the THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: the broccoli needs to be DRY!!! Dry them THOROUGHLY. That is, if you wash them. I heard once that on an episode of Julia Child cooking with Jacques Pepin, Pepin revealed he doesn’t wash a chicken before putting it in a hot oven: “The heat kills all the germs,” he said in his French accent. “If bacteria could survive that oven, it deserves to kill me.” Soooo, I didn’t wash my broccoli; I want it to get crispy and brown.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut broccoli into rather large florets.
- Put in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
- Dump the broccoli on a cookie sheet; I use line the cookie sheet with non-stick tin foil.
- Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until “crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.”
- I love it plain but here are some other options to try:
- Zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the lemon juice over the broccoli, add 1.5 Tbs more olive oil, 3T. toasted pine and 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. You could also add 2t. julienned fresh basil.
The Pasta and Mushrooms
Cook the pasta and mushrooms together!
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and add the mushrooms to the boiling pasta the last 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and toss with a smidge of olive oil.
Toss the broccoli, chicken, pasta and mushrooms in a bowl, season with salt and pepper!! Fast easy and SUPER healthy!!
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Small can of corn
- 1 14oz. can of stewed tomatoes
- 3-4 T. Tomato Sauce
- 1T. Chili Powder
- Sautee onion and green pepper in olive oil about 10 minutes.
- Add meat cook until done.
- Add stewed tomatoes, crushing them w/ a fork stir in with the meat.
- Add can of corn.
- Add 3-4 T. of tomato sauce.
- Continue crushing the tomatoes.
- Add. ?1 T. of chili powder.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Serve in heated tortillas
Old Fashioned Chicken Soup with Kale
1 Whole chicken
4 Chicken breasts
4 C. Chicken broth (one box of broth equals 4 cups)
1 Bunch of celery
1 Bag of carrots
1 Medium yellow onion
1 Bunch of parsley
1 Bag of Kale (or 8 C. of kale)
4 C. Spinach
Sea salt to taste
- Take 4-5 stalks of celery and set aside.
- Take 4-5 carrots and set aside.
- Take half of the bunch of parsley and set aside
- Put the whole chicken in a Dutch oven and add enough water to cover it.
- Add in half of the chicken broth.
- Chop the onion, remaining celery and carrots and put in the Dutch oven with the chicken.
- Add in the parsley.
- Bring to a boil; spooning off the foamy stuff as is accumulates.
- Turn down heat to a simmer.
- Cook for at about an hour, spooning off the foamy stuff as best as you can and stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, chop the remaining celery into about 1 inch pieces.
- Cut the carrots into stew size pieces; I try to cut them in funky shapes about an inch in size.
- Remove the stems from the parsley.
- When the chicken is done, take it out and put it in a large bowl to cool.
- Using a strainer, strain the broth into another large pot or bowl.
- Throw away the cooked veggies.
- Put the broth back in the Dutch oven on the stove, adding in the second half of chicken broth.
- Add the celery, carrots and parsley. Add some sea salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the kale and spinach and stir.
- Remove the chicken from the bone.
- Tear apart the precooked chicken breasts.
- Add the chicken to the pot and stir.
Sweet Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
Lactose Free/Gluten Free
3 ½ C. Pamela’s Gluten Bread Mix
¼ C. Sugar
1 package of yeast
¾ C. warm water
¼ C. melted butter
½ C. Vanilla almond milk
1. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine water and yeast. Stir to combine. The water should be between 110-115 degrees F.; which is pretty much hot tap water. Don’t microwave it, it’ll be too hot!! Let the yeast dissolve in the water while you measure your dry ingredients.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour mixture and sugar.
3. Add yeast mixture, butter, milk and eggs.
4. Using an electric mixer, mix dough for five minutes on medium-high speed. Your dough should be soft, thick, and sticky. The dough will not form a cohesive dough ball. If you are using a handheld mixer, the dough will try to “climb” the beaters. Be sure to use a rubber spatula to push the dough back into the bowl.
5. Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with vegetable spray.
6. Spread batter evenly into the pan.
7. Cover the loaf lightly with a piece of greased plastic wrap. (If you cover the loaf tightly, the dough will have trouble rising.)
8. Allow dough to rise for at least 1 hour. If an hour isn’t long enough let it rise until it has risen a little over the top of the pan, then it is ready.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (Keep dough covered while preheating the oven.)
10. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208 degrees-211 degrees F. If the crust of your bread begins to get too dark before the internal temperature of the bread reaches 208 degrees, simply cover the loaf with a piece of aluminum foil. This will allow the bread to continue baking without burning the crust.
11. Remove bread from oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
12. Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool.
13. Allow the loaf to cool completely. Store at room temperature for two to three days or slice and freeze. Do not refrigerate–this will make for soggy bread!
I eat pasta once every couple of weeks, and when I do this is usually my go-to recipe. You can certainly make it without the pasta at all or substitute brown rice for a gluten-free option.
3-4 5oz. Chicken breasts
1 Green pepper
1 Red pepper
1 Yellow pepper
1-2 gloves of garlic; and yes, I meant to say gloves…..
1 package of fresh mushrooms
15-20 cherry tomatoes
½ Package of whole wheat penne pasta noodles
Oregano & any other Italian spices you like
½ C. fresh grated parmesan cheese
The noodles (pasta):
- Heat a pot of water to boiling, add the pasta and cook until done.
- Drain the noodles- don’t rinse them- put in a large mixing bowl.
- In a skillet on medium-high, heat 2T.olive oil,
- Cook the chicken turning frequently until done. (About 15-20 minutes)
- Put the chicken in a container with a lid to seal in the juices for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the peppers into chunks-not too large, not too small.
- Put the garlic, peppers and mushrooms in the skillet the chicken was cooked in-don’t clean or rinse the skillet.
- Cook on medium- high until crisp-tender about 15 minutes, adding the oregano or Italian spices.
- Add to the bowl with the noodles.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and set them aside.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut or tear into bite size pieces.
- Add the chicken to the noodles/peppers/mushroom bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and mix again.
- Add ½ C. of fresh grated parmesan cheese and mix again. Mix well.
These baked cinnamon apples are SOOOO AMAZING and naturally sweet! Why do we stay away from sugar??? WEELLLLLL….because sugar IS JUST NOT WHAT WE DO HERE!!
Sugar; It’s Just Not What We Do Here
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut the apples in bite size pieces
- Place them in a baking dish.
- Add ¼” of water.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir slightly.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
I made this video about 6 months ago, but it is one of my favorite recipes. It is so versiatile…It can be lactose/cheese free, gluten-free, nachos, tacos, a dip or enchilada’s….SO YUUUUUMMMYYYY!!!
CooperBowl Nacho Dip
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, minced (2t. minced garlic)
1 T. olive oil
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
½ t. salt
¼ t. garlic powder
¼ t. pepper
- In a nonstick (or a pot sprayed with cooking spray) skillet or large pot, sauté ground turkey, (or beef), onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- Stir in tomatoes, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in beans until heated through.
The poblano pepper really makes this AWESOME!!
1 C. Red onion chopped
1 Poblano pepper seeded and chopped
1t. Garlic minced
1lb. Ground turkey or lean beef
1T. Chili powder
2T. Tomato paste
1t. Ground cumin
¼ t. Salt
¼ t. Pepper
1 Can (15oz. or 19oz.) cannellini beans
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
1 (14oz.) can of fat free, sodium free chicken broth
½ C. chopped cilantro
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and meat; cook until meat is done stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, tomato paste oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, cannellini beans, diced tomatoes & chicken broth. (the rest of the ingredients, minus the cilantro….). Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Top with cilantro and serve!
Options: Sometimes I serve it over a very small amount of whole wheat pasta…
Turkey Meatballs with and Peppers & Mushrooms
(Of course you can leave out any ingredient you don’t like, which might be the peppers and the mushrooms and probably the tomatoes…..If you are like me, then maybe at some point after your 39th birthday you may begin to enjoy these vegetables.)
1 Package of Ground Turkey
1 Medium Onion diced/minced
1 Green Pepper-diced/minced
1 Red Pepper-diced
2T. minced garlic
The veggies to go with the meatballs:
1 Green Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Red Pepper-cut in to chunks (or thinly sliced..)
1 Package of Fresh Mushrooms-sliced
1 (14.5oz.) can of Diced Tomatoes
1T. minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Put the turkey, diced veggies, egg, oregano and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape into ping-pong size meatballs and put on a non-stick cookie sheet or a tin foil lined cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Put them in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. (When they are done they often have a lot of juice, so be careful when removing them from the oven.)
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and turn on medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chopped peppers, garlic and oregano –stirring almost constantly. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Put 1t. olive oil in the skillet on medium high heat. When skillet is hot add the mushrooms and cook until tender. (I cook the mushrooms separately because they produce too much liquid…)
- Cook about 15 minutes or until desired tenderness. Place in the bowl with the peppers.
- Heat the diced tomatoes in a pan on the stove.
- Put veggies and mushrooms in a bowl and place the meatballs on top.
- Spoon on some of the diced tomatoes and ENJOY!!!
This GREAT served on top of brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
Tilapia with Sweet Potatoes
6 filets of tilapia
1 large sweet potato(or 2-3 small red potatoes)
2 T. minced fresh rosemary
2 T. chopped chives (or green onions)
4 T. Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice the sweet potato into very, very thin slices. (I use my Cuisinart to make them potato chip thin..)
3. Place the fish on a work surface and season with salt and pepper.
4. Top each of the fillets with enough slices of potato to completely cover the surface of the fish, like shingles.
5. Sprinkle the potatoes with a bit more salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of rosemary leaves.
6. Heat a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add 2T. olive oil.
8. When the oil is hot add the fish, potato side down. Cook for about 2 minutes.
9. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the fish is cooked through, about 15 to 17 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, combine the remaining olive oil, chives, and the remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
11. To serve, place the fish on serving plates, potato side up.
12. Drizzle the fish with the rosemary-chive oil.
13. Serve immediately.
Additions and Options:
1. Use thinly sliced red, purple or russet potatoes.