Taste of Home; Comfort Food with a Modern Twist- 2nd Prize!
Gruyere Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam
- bacon cut into ½” pieces
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped
- garlic minced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup spreadable brie cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread cut into ½” slices
- Butter for spreading
FIRST: MAKE BACON-DATE JAM
- Heat a heavy skillet or pot over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crisp. Remove from pot, place on a paper towel set aside.
- Pour remaining bacon grease into a jar or clean metal can.
- Add 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon grease to pot, add onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until caramelized about 35-40 minutes.
- Add the bacon, dates, cider, water, salt and pepper. Stir well, reduce heat to simmer and cover for about 45 minutes.
- Remove lid, continue to simmer, stirring every 15-20 minutes for 90 minutes
- Let cool.
- Combine the cheeses in a small bowl mix well.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Generously butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Evenly spread the cheese mixture on the other side of each slice.
- Spread bacon-date jam on four of the slices of bread and put the sandwiches together. Place in the skillet, butter side down.
- Grill until golden brown; flip over.