Increase Your Energy Levels with Eight Easy Tips
What you eat has a big impact on your energy levels.
Here are some tips to increase energy levels:
1. Do not overeat at meals, as large quantities of food contribute to fatigue.
2. Try to eat something approximately every 3 – 4 hours to prevent blood sugar drops.
3. Avoid high sugar foods, especially if eaten alone in-between meals.
4. Planning is the key. Good snacks include peanut butter and celery, a fruit with a piece of cheese, a low-fat or non-fat, yogurt, a fruit and a small handful of nuts.
~100 Calorie Snacks
4 apricots (~70 calories)
1 medium nectarine (60 calories)
¾ C. mango (80 calories)
1 medium apple
1C. unsweetened applesauce
1 small banana
1 ½ C. blackberries
1 ¼ C. blueberries
1 ½ C. red raspberries
1 large peach
1 large pear
1 medium orange
¼ of large honeydew melen
¼ large cantaloupe
½ large grapefruit
½ C. canned fruit in water or light syrup
¼ C. hummus
28 baby carrots
5 celery sticks with 1½T. light cream cheese
14 baby carrots with 2T. hummus
1 ½ C. fresh tomato with ¼ C. 1-2% cottage cheese
2C. green beans
1T. natural peanutbuttter
1 sm. bag baked potato chips
10 medium pretzel twists
3 large rice cakes
2 large flavored rice cakes
8 saltine crackers
3C. light popcorn
2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
1C. fat-free milk
1C. fat-free soy milk
½ C. cottage cheese
6oz. fat-free or low fat yogurt
½ C. sorbet
½ frozen yogurt
1 slice of 2% or reduced fat cheese
1 piece of string cheese
8 medium shrimp
3oz. canned tuna/salmon in water
½ medium bagel
½ medium potato
½C. cooked whole wheat pasta
5. Eating excessive amount of carbs can cause blood sugar to rise then drop rapidly which can lead to fatigue. In addition, carbs (when eaten alone) can lead to production of serotonin, which can make you tired as well.
6. Drink plenty of fluid (non caffeinated) to stay hydrated. For every can/cup of caffeine, drink and equal amount of water!
7. Get adequate sleep. Eating the best diet in the world will not energize you if you are not getting adequate sleep. Avoid exercising for several hours to bedtime as this can interfere with sleep.
8. It is not a bad idea to take a multivitamin to make sure that your body is getting all the vitamins and minerals that it needs. However, keep in mind that this supplement will not provide you with energy. It will just help prevent deficiencies of vitamins and minerals.