Real or Fake???
PS4 Controller Cake
- Cake mix or home made cake – any flavor
- Chocolate frosting
- Black fondant
- Toothpicks and/or wooden skewers
- Small (8”) spring form cheesecake pan
- X-Acto knife
- Small paring knife
- Small glass of water
- Small paintbrush
I am not really a baker but I do love to make fun creative cakes! This is not the way a professional would probably choose to make a cake like this, but it worked for me. I hope you find it helpful and tweak it in any way that works best for you!
- Print out two copies of the PS4 controller photo and cut one of them out to use as a template.
- Make the cake mix and pour in the spring form pan and bake according to the package instructions.
- Let cool, remove from spring form pan and when completely cool, set on a baking sheet with parchment paper, cover and transfer to the freezer overnight.
- Place the cut out picture template of the PS4 controller in the center of the frozen cake, take the toothpick or skewer and poke holes around the edges of the picture.
- Using the paring knife, and the poked holes as a guide, cut straight down until you have cut out the shape of the controller.
- Put the excess cake in a bowl and save for cake pops later!!
- Place back in the freezer.
- Knead the black fondant until smooth and flexible and roll out.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and frost with a thin layer of frosting. (I like to heat the frosting for ~20 seconds in the microwave so it is thin but not runny.)
- Roll the fondant onto the rolling pin and GENTLY place over the top of the cake and GENLTLY manipulate the fondant into around the edges into place. Using the X-Acto knife, cut around the edges at the bottom. Gently tuck them under so you can’t see the edges of the fondant..
- Using the cut out paper copy, cut out the knobs, buttons and other details to use as templates. Place them on rolled out black fondant and trace around with the X-Acto knife.
- Place them on the “controller” using the paintbrush and water as glue. Use the other copy of the controller as your guide, since you are chopping up the other one!
**Shameless Admission- I cut out and used the paper copy for the four buttons on the left (from the photo) and placed them on the “controller”. I did the same for the tiny PS logo and the words “share” & “options”**
Flower Party Favors
- Coffee filters; 6 for each flower
- Food coloring & water
- Cupcake cups
- Take two coffee filters; fold them in half and in half again and again…
- Starting towards the top of the folded coffee filters; cut a pedal in the shape you desire.
- Take two more coffee filters and repeat step one.
- Cutting towards the middle of the folded coffee filters; cut a pedal in the shape you desire.Pointed pedal will create a sunflower and rounded pedals are more diasy-like!
- Repeat step one with the last two coffee filters.
- Cutting closer to the bottom; cut a small pedal in the shape you desire.
- Put a small amount of water and add food coloring, swirl to mix. The more food coloring the brighter your flower will be.
- Dip an inch of the rounded pedal top edge of the filters in the food coloring. Set aside to dry. Repeat until all have been colored.
- Allow to completely dry, unfolding to help the drying process.
- After they are completely dry, open them up. Stack them with the largest on the bottom, then the medium ending with the small flowers.
- Staple the middle to secure.
- Place a small amount of glue on the bottom (in the middle) of a cupcake cup and place on top of the staple on the flower.
- Add cup cakes or candy!
Fun for all ages and perfect for gardens, pots & planters!
Napkin Bunny Ears
St. Patrick’s Day Table Setting
Brown Sugar Body Scrub
- 1C. coconut oil
- 2 ½ C. brown sugar
- 1T. water
- ½ t. vanilla
- Mix coconut oil and water until “fluffy”.
- Add brown sugar; mix well.
- Add vanilla, mix.
- Spoon into a plastic jar; I use peanut butter jars.
While still in the shower, after washing, just before you are ready to get out, scoop a small handful and rub over your legs, arms and body. Rinse.
BE CAREFUL the shower may be slippery it’s OIL!!!
How to Make a Halloween Piñata
- Large punching balloon
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Orange tissue paper
- Black tissue paper
- Disposal small paint brush
- Tear newspaper into 1-1 ½ “strips
- Blow up the punching balloon and set on the large bowl using it as a stand/holder
- Pour 2C. flour in the medium bowl, stir in 3C. water. Mix until smooth. (You can make more or less just make sure the ratio is 2 parts flour to 3 parts of water.)
- Take a strip of newspaper and dip it in the paper mache (flour mixture) covering both sides of the paper, slide the strip of paper through two fingers to remove the excess paper mache so it isn’t dripping.
- Place the strip of paper on the punching balloon.
- Repeat dipping the strips and placing them on the balloon taking care to place them evenly all over the balloon. (Be careful the balloon may get top heavy so you’ll need to move it around.)
- Leave a 3-4” round opening at the top of the balloon; to put the candy in and make a hanger for the balloon.
- Once you get a good couple of layers on the balloon (usually no more that two layers) let it dry overnight.
- Repeat the process until the balloon has been covered completely with paper mache and has several layers; this may take several days to accomplish as you will need to let it dry after every coating of paper mache.
- After the balloon has COMPLETELY dried, you can pop the balloon-MAKE SURE THE BALLOON IS COMPLETELY DRY OR IT WILL COLLAPSE!!
- Draw the jack-o-lantern face.
- Cut orange tissue paper into 1 ½ -2” inch squares. (for the pumpkin part) Repeat with black tissue paper. (for the eyes, nose and mouth of the jack-o-lantern)
- Pour some glue on the paper mache and spread it with the paintbrush; start with one eye at a time then the nose, then the mouth.
- Starting with the black tissue paper, take a square piece and wrap it around your finger, lightly dip it in the glue and put it on the glued area. Repeat, placing each piece close to the other.
- Repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again completing the black areas then the large orange area. This may take some time!!
- Time to create a hanger! Find a 4-6” sturdy piece of wood or a sick. Tie a rope around the center of the stick and put in the open area in the top of your piñata and level it out so it is lengthwise inside. You should be able to hold the rope and lift the piñata easily.
- Now you can fill it with candy!!
- Hoist the rope over a large branch holding the piñata like a tether.
- Blind fold the kids, one at a time, spin him/her around three times, had them a baseball bat and let them swing!!